When you run a program as a "service", the program will automatically be loaded when you turn on your computer. Many companies that run our database server on their server computer want to run it as a service, so that no one has to log in to the server computer to start our database server.
NOTE: a server computer is NOT required to run FF Inventory Pro Deluxe. Click here to read a topic about that.
To install our database server as a service, follow the steps below:
1. Install FF Inventory Manager Pro Deluxe on the machine you want to designate as the server. Install both client and server programs. The default locations are fine.
2. Open the FF Database Server GUI and set the Config/Network/Network Interface to “ALL INTERFACES
3. Open the Client and enter the server name (not the IP address) where it says FF Server IP Address. This will allow the client to connect even if the IP address changes or if you are accessing remotely via a VPN connection.
4. Close the client, stop and exit the FF Database Server.
5. Install the Service Mill software http://www.activeplus.com/en/Products/ServiceMill . Any other service creation utilities should work but I will use this as an example.
6. Right click on the “FFServer.exe” which is located in “C:\invserv\” by default. Select “Install as a Service Mill Service”.
7. Right click on the " FFNInv.exe" which is located in “C:\FF Inventory Pro Deluxe\” by default. Select “Install as a Service Mill Service”.
8. Reboot the server but don’t log in.
9. Install FF Inventory Manager Pro Deluxe on a machine you want to designate as a workstation. Install only the client (workstation) using the "workstation-only install option". The default location is fine.
10. Open the Client and enter the server name (not the IP address) where it says FF Server IP Address. This will allow the client to connect even if the IP address changes or if you are accessing remotely via a VPN connection. You should now be able to access the FF Database Server from the workstation without the server machine logged in.
11. Repeat this installation on other workstations and set up users as needed.